Recent Posts

April 17, 2010

more rain

So this week was filled with rain...much rain.. so much rain that two bridges collapsed, several neighborhoods were flooded and countless trees and light poles were down.  This was the same storm that caused flooding in Rio de Janeiro and all of those deaths by mudslide.  Luckily it was not so bad here and I do not believe we had any deaths, I just got really wet four days in a row trying to get to work.  I was pretty grumpy because I could not get my morning run in until today (4 days of getting up early only to see pouring rain :( )  
Thursday evening was my colleague's birthday so I went to her house for a party.  I ate lots of brigaderos and practiced my portuguese until I got too tired...then I watched brazilian music video.
On friday I went out for acaraje ( balls of black eyed peas fried in dende oil or palm oil, served with shrimp, a tomato, cucumber salad and caruru, a sort of sauce made of dende oil, peanuts, shrimp, okra among other things....)   through a miscommunication with my friend we accidentally ordered a huge piece of beef on a giant skewer.  This was the first time I have eaten beef in over two years.....and I must say I do not enjoy it..... :(  I miss vegetarianism and plan to revert once I eat at churrascaria (i am willing to try anything once and a churrascaria is basically an all-you-can-eat buffet where waiters bring every type of meat imaginable to the table and you can ask them to slice some off of their giant skewers).

Today was finally nice and I went to the beach... again it was a very different experience.  We did not go swimming because of all the rain.  But we did go to the baraca....or cafe on the beach and drink beer and ate food (more acaraje).  It was fun and nice to finally be outdoors!

No comments: